Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Brave Movie Review

      I will begin with an overview of the whole movie then I will move into the characters.  If you don't any spoilers about the movie, don't read this post.:)
      Brave is about Princess Merida who doesn't want to be a princess.  She decides to go to a witch to change her fate.  Ariel anyone?  She gets a spell to change her mother, but she doesn't realize what her mother changes into: a bear.  The rest of the movie is about Merida trying to help her mother change back into a human.  At the end, Merida is crying over her bear mother telling her she's sorry and that she loves her.  Does this sound like Beaty and the Beast and Tangled?  Her mother changes back, and they are once again, a happy family.
     I didn't enjoy the crude humor in this movie at all!  It was way overdone!!!  It shows the back ends of all the men in the movie.  It wasn't a short scene either.  You saw all of them for a good 20 seconds.  I didn't think this part was necessary.:(
     What I did like, though, was how they animated Merida's hair.  It looked so real!!  The music in the movie was awesome!  I love Celtic music and that's all the music it had!:)
           Merida, for me, was kinda hard to like in the movie.  She was very argumentative with her mother.  She reminded me of a medieval Ariel.  It took Merida till the end of the movie to apologize for turning her mother into a bear.
     Merida's dad was happy and funny, but I felt they made him a little too dumb.  I really enjoyed Merida's mother.  Even after all that Merida did to her, she still loved her daughter.
     I was expecting more humor from the triplets.  They didn't even talk!!  They could have been the funniest part of the whole, but they fell flat.

     This is definitely not Pixar's or Disney's best by far.  The storyline was not new.  Merida is just like Jasmine and Ariel in the way that they all don't want to follow tradition.  The ending of Brave is a lot like the ending of Tangled and Beauty and the Beast.  At the end of each, one character is about to die or have something major happen to them, and the princess cries over them, tells them she loves them and(in Brave's case) apologizes to them.  Then the injured person becomes normal again, and everyone is happy.
     I hope you found this review helpful!:)


*Liddy*                                                                                                    

5 comments:

  1. Hi Liddy!

    I'm sorry you didn't really like Brave. I really enjoyed it, though I do agree the crude humor wasn't necessary, but I found Merida very relatable. I like that she wasn't perfect (I'm not saying being bad is O.K., but I'm saying that she was just like us) and that she mended her bond with her mother at the end. Even though it's the same plot, I liked it.

    Merida's hair was beautifully done as was the music. :)

    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! If I see it again, I might like it more. Sometimes when I see a movie more than once it grows on me, and I like it better the more I see it. When I left the theater, all that stuck out was the crude humor and Merida's rebellious side. However, I love Merida with her bow and arrows!! So Narnia like!!

      *Liddy*

      Delete
  2. Hi Liddy! Would you say Merida's dress was navy blue or green? Or whatever color it is.. :) I can't tell. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me to be a darkish green. I have the 12 inch doll, and her dress is definitely green. Hope that helped!:)

      *Liddy*

      Delete
    2. Yes, that helps whole lot! :) Apparently, I am colorblind then....:) Will you be a member of my blog? Only if you want. :) Thanks, Liddy! :)

      Delete