Yes, I know that my title is grammatically incorrect, but I like it.:)
Last school year I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and over summer I read The Prince and the Pauper. Now, for this school year I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I've become quite the Mark Twainian you might say.:)
May I explain that these are hard books to get through! The Adventures Tom Sawyer wasn't as bad. Once I grasped the style of language I could read it easily. However, The Prince and the Pauper was ten times more of a struggle! It was written in 16th century English, so I decoded it as I read it.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is much more difficult than The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. In the story, Huckleberry befriends a slave named Jim. Mark Twain wrote Jim's speech just like a slave would have talked during the mid-nineteenth century. Also, the book is written in first person by Huckleberry Finn, so all the language in the book is incorrect! Does that frustrate anyone else? While I find that it is impressive of Mark Twain to use different American dialects, it quite frustrating for me to read it fluently. It is an important book, so I am pushing bravely ahead!:)
Do any of you have this problem with books?
*Liddy*

I know what you mean by hard to read. In English last year we had to read Romeo and Juliet, which has that same "old language" problem that makes it hard to understand, luckily we read it as a class and used a book that explained it better too. Good job on "solving the code by yourself!" :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I definitely understand where you're coming from, Liddy! :) For my English class, we are reading the Scarlet Pimpernel and the names are in French mostly! We also have to read Julius Caesar soon--yay :P :)
ReplyDelete