Friday, January 3, 2014

"If I Cannot Inspire Love, Then I Will Inspire Fear!"

Quote from Frankenstein








     All I can say, is that I have never anything like this book.  It was filled with twisted morals and flowery descriptions.  Not a read again, but very interesting.


     First off, the novel is nothing like any Frankenstein movies at all.  Not that I have seen many-only some of the Boris Karloff movie and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.:) 
     It begins with an adventurer named Walton who accidentally finds Dr. Frankenstein in the Arctic.  after Dr. Frankenstein boards his ship, he begins to tell him Walton the miseries of his life  At first I thought I was reading the wrong book!  Where is the monster? Five chapters of long, flowery descriptions later, the monster was created. 
     Unlike the movie portrayals, Frankenstein, the monster, is an intelligent and an eloquent speaker.  He can persuade anyone to understand his feelings.  And, no, he is not green.:)
     My main frustration with this novel is that I could not get into the character of Dr. Frankenstein.  He was too moody and selfish to really care about him.  He was not a hero.  Just a man who had fallen into the desire for fame and could not crawl out of the pit he had dug himself into.
     One of the main themes I got from the book was selfishness.  Since, Dr. Frankenstein was so absorbed in his own misery, he couldn't clearly look around to help the others close to him.  No matter was disaster came upon his innocent family, he considered himself still the most miserable of all
     The novel also gave the idea that your environment  decides your behavior.  The monster had tried to be friendly to humanity, but they had all run in fear of him.  The impression was given that he couldn't help but go on a vengeful murder spree after humanity had wronged him.  This book lacked the idea of everyone having the choice to do right and wrong.  The monster still could have been good, but he chose  to be evil.  He was not at all forced into it! 
    The novel also lacked any excitement.  Mary Shelley described every stone and every tree under the sun!  By the time I finished reading all the flowery descriptions, I didn't have any real interest in finding out what happens in the plot.

     Would I recommend this novel?  If you love old Gothic novels, then maybe yes.  I am not perticularly interested in that genre, so that might be why I did not enjoy this novel.


Hope you all found this review interesting!:) 

*Liddy* 

No comments:

Post a Comment