"Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was just such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it." - The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Before reading, know that there are some spoilers in this review.
Hmmm, I don't really know where to begin. This book was not quite what I had expected. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. First off, I have never enjoyed books or movies centered on ocean voyages- excluding The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.:) Secondly, it wasn't that fast paced of a story. I never found myself ever excited to go back to it to read more. But, this is just me.
Charlotte wasn't one of my favorite heroines. As the story began she was snobby and rude. In the latter half, she was rebellious. Too rebellious for me. I can't get into a book when the main character defies her parents. Also she became very tomboyish. I am an extremely girlie girl, so books with characters like Charlotte aren't my preference. The only book I have ever loved with a tomboyish main character was Little Women; but, in that book, you had Meg, Beth, and Amy there to balance Jo's topsy-turvey personality.
However, I really liked Zachariah! Even though Charlotte was unkind to him at first and betrayed him, he always had faith in her. He was probably my favorite character.:)
What did make this story interesting was that I've never read a book with this plot line before. I mean, how many books do you read about a thirteen year old charged for murder?
My review is just my opinion, so do not take what I say as your view of the book. I do know a few people that really enjoyed the book and rightly so. There are some exciting parts and unique twists. But, for some reason, I couldn't get myself into it.:)
What are your thoughts on the book? Did you or did you not like it?
*Liddy*

I don't think I've ever read the whole thing, just maybe an excerpt in school a while ago, but it sounds pretty interesting :)
ReplyDelete